Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Homemade Granola

I love homemade granola. A lot. But I don't really follow a recipe. Just dump and pour according to my mood. 2 batches ago it turned out.........amazing. The next time I made it I was in a healthy mood. I think it's, well healthy! And I don't mind the taste. Makayla took one bite, spit it out, and said "Wood chips". Eldon tasted it and said "You don't know when to leave a good thing alone." I tried to be annoyed for a little bit but I couldn't help but laugh because it's so true. And I felt kinda bad because he loves granola almost more then me. So the next day I pulled out a cookbook and followed a recipe. Kind of. I didn't have everything. And seriously, I was not going to pull out the 1/2 teaspoon measure for salt, of all things. But I mostly followed it.


Here's my version:
4 cups quick oats
2 cups chopped almonds
1 cup chopped peanuts
1 cup coconut
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup cooking oil 
1/3 cup water
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tab vanilla


We made it with love. You know, licked the spoon and kept mixing.


I resisted the urge to cut the brown sugar in half and use coconut oil instead of vegetable. I also didn't double or triple or quadruple the batch like I tend to do. The whole batch fit nicely in a 9x13, which is all that fits in my oven so it worked out well.


I baked it at 250* for about 3 hours and stirred it whenever I remembered it. It's really good. Every one loves it. And I have still have 20 cups of "wood chips" to eat from the last batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment