Saturday, June 2, 2018

Banana Oatmeal Cake - THM E

     This is a recipe that I've majorly modified from Mennonite Country-Style Recipes and kitchen secrets. While I love this cookbook, I prefer to use less sugar and flour then what most of these amazing recipes call for. I like to make this as breakfast for travel days since it's healthy and fills those little tummies up for at least the first hour (we hope!). It can by made ahead and is so yummy when you drown it with milk!

Banana Oatmeal Cake
1 cup butter
1 cup THM sweet blend*
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups oatmeal, blended finely
2 cups old fashioned oatmeal
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 TAB ground flax seed (optional)
3 cups bananas (6ish)
1/2 cup almond milk (kombucha or water works too)


1. Preheat oven to 350*.
2. Mix butter and sweet blend well.
3. Blend 2 cups of oatmeal until fine, then add to butter mixture.
4. Toss eggs, vanilla, bananas, and milk into blender and puree.
5. Add everything else, stir, and bake in a 9x13 pan for about 45 min. (My RV oven has a mind of its own and always needs babysitting so I just go by touch :) )

*I make my own sweet blend, using 8 cups of erythritol, 4 cups sugar, and 2 TAB stevia. You can also just use regular old sugar if you prefer.

It's also delicious to add 1 cup of chopped walnuts, pecans, or almonds but that is adding a lot of fats to a carby dish so bear that in mind if you are strict with keeping carbs and fats separate. I've also replaced half of the bananas with blueberries for something different. I'm also no expert on the numbers but I believe this falls squarely as an E dish. Please do correct me if I'm wrong!

The batter from a batch with blueberries added. I blended them because a certain little man thinks he doesn't like them :). It may not look amazing but it's delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment