Monday, February 22, 2016

Our hiking adventure

Today was the very first day in a long time that Eldon wasn't either working a 12 hour shift, helping my dad get ready for a new batch of chickens, or spending 3 hours on the road so it was like vacation! The weather was around 60* and cloudy so we decided we had better take our chance and hike before it gets so hot. We are staying at the Lake Brownwood State Park and were thrilled to discover that they have Jr Ranger backpacks and you can loan one for a day. They have binoculars, magnifying glass, sketch book, journal, compass, and loads of educational books about wildflowers, wildlife, trees, and birds. So we went to the ranger station to pick one up and they insisted on giving us three.  

Our little Adventurers 

Yeah, she dresses herself.

Isn't she cute though?!

Hiking along the lake shore

One of the many structures built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930's during the Depression, using native rocks and timber. 


Anthill!

Most of our trails looked like this
It was so fun to stroll leisurely along and look at anything we pleased for however long we wanted. When I think of hiking my mind goes back to my youth when I loved to socialize so I would go hiking with my very athletic friends. I am not athletic and would huff and puff up the mountains of Colorado then vow to never go again.  Somehow though, I couldn't stay away from these adventures. You know who you are and I still love you :) . No, this was nothing that stressful. I will add though, my 4 and 6 year old can run circles around me. But in my defense, I was packing an extra 20 pounds on my back.




We talked about how we never considering doing this like this when Makayla and Michael were little because you couldn't take a stroller on most trails. Times have sure changed for us. Stroller scmoller. Give us our carriers and we are happy as can be. We use a stroller so little it's barely worth having one anymore. I bought an Infantino Roam and love it but then Eldon started using it for Emily occasionally. I got the chance to buy an Ergo 360 at a good price and snatched it so that I had one to use for Ethan! And honestly, if could pick only 1, I'd pick the Infantino. It's a little hard for me to admit because Ergo's are like THE baby carrier hey.......I've got my reasons!

I know, Ethan's about to lose his head. He snoozed for a long time though!

So blessed to be raising our children together!
 We came home to our camper for lunch and naps then headed out in a different direction.

We came across multiple places like this, make by the CCC.

Lake Brownwood

The Grand Staircase is a sight to behold. It goes all the way down to the lake.

The very bottom


The lamps were made in the blacksmith shop which is now a lodge.


Spring!



This is the old blacksmith building. We climbed the stairs and went to the very top of that tower. Great view!
 I believe we will all sleep well tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment