Sunday, September 13, 2015

Downsizing

     I sometimes get the feeling that people think I just love to get rid of things because I hate stuff and that it doesn't effect me at all. Well, I do love to get rid of stuff but it's not been all roses the last month either. When we finally decided to put our house on the market we thought we should have a yard sale first to clear out a bunch of stuff. Naturally, we should do this in the 2 week slot before we go on vacation for 2 weeks. O yes, we wanted to buy a camper in that time too. Well, it happened. We ate cereal, Wal-mart subs and Little Caesar's pizza for over a week and I may have lost a little sleep but it happened.

     I started by walking through the house and taking pictures because I wanted to be able to remember how it used to be. I also got slightly depressed looking at all the unnecessary items.


This is the closet in the boys room. All those boxes and totes contained clothes. The shelves are full of toys and misc items.


Our closet. Stashed full of clothes I'll probably never be able to wear again. (Here I stopped to dig out some chocolate from my secret stash. If I'm not losing weight anyhow I may as well eat chocolate, right?)


The laundry room shelves are stacked with lots of things that we just might need some day. You never know.


And lots more things that we just might need :). 


My kitchen. It didn't look to bad at the time but now it is MUCH more clutter free.


On Sunday (it was a Friday that we decided to put our place on the market) Eldon announced at church what is going on. Ya'll, people came to help us Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday evening! I was so blessed. And amazed at how the pieces flew. I was able to pull out stuff to sell and they could price and set it up for our yard sale. They folded laundry, washed windows, brought food, and gave me the boost I needed to keep going. The guys did tons of work outside. I wish so badly I had before and after pictures. The house was power washed. They finished trimming the windows and stained the trim. Lots of weed-eating and cleaning up. Junk hauled off. Mulch spread. Our place looks better now then ever before!!

Wednesday afternoon we went to Springfield shopping for campers and found one we love. Hurray! We sold all our animals except 3 pigs this week as well. Sheep, goats, horse, chickens, guineas, and dogs.  I got to help catch them too since Eldon was working when most people came to pick them up. Maybe I will fit into those dresses again.

We had our yard sale Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. A friend came to be with me Thursday and brought lunch. I'm so glad because I was totally swamped. I could not believe how much stuff we sold. At one point I found Michael sitting outside the door watching things leave with a very, very sad face. I quickly put him back in my bedroom and started a movie. No way I could handle that! Friday and Saturday were much slower but we steadily sold things. By Saturday night I was delighted to have that all behind me. For now. We are going to have to have another sale before we leave because I keep finding things as I pack.

I very quickly went through and pulled out things that I knew we could do without before our sale. Now I've started actually packing and sorting more intentionally. We will have a storage shed at dad's so that is wonderful. It's hard deciding what to keep and what not to. What will store well and what won't. What's worth hauling to Texas and what isn't. And yes, believe it or not, I get all sentimental at times. 


Like this clock. Wedding gift from my best friend, all my growing up years. No question. It's gotta go with me.


And this. A wedding gift from my Grandpa. It's going with me too. As well as a boatload of other things. But it's ok. While I know that "stuff" is not what life is about I believe that there is a balance. So rest assured, any heirlooms are not getting thrown out. And special things like the afghan Eldon's Grandma made us. And all the 5 totes of books we have (no, I'm not kidding. I wish I were. Did I mention that we basically never read the books we have?).


Sorting and packing the toys was a much dreaded job. Most of them stayed. Because when you have Grandma that gives very expensive, educational gifts well.......and also, 40% of the toys were Eldon's when he was little so they are almost vintage :).


I'm much happier know that the job is done. Rest assured, we still have lots of toys out that they choose to keep in the camper. I was astonished (and slightly annoyed) with their picks. Mostly cheap toys that won't last a month with a lot of use. Guess that's good for me :).


I bought 4 of these lovely containers from Tupperware and have one for each child's keepsakes. A baby outfit, hospital band, pictures, and all the other stuff you pick up along the way that makes you say "awww". 


The cedar chest is packed full. That was a fun one. Lots of little things disappeared into it.


There is starting to be rows of boxes everywhere. I'm loving it!


No, I am not an organized freak. It just looks like it :). I do love to have a system and know where things are!

Now for some random pictures.


This is us, heading for Pa. We made stops in Ohio, Virginia, and North Carolina as well. I'll do a post about the camper sometime soon. Let me just say it's lovely to sleep in your own bed every night!


Ethan and I enjoying each other's company.


A random rose from Eldon :). 


At 5 months old this little stinker is certain that he must eat real food. And he knows what do with it too. I'm not exactly thrilled about this stage.


"I'm not tired". 


Walking on a lovely trail in North Carolina.


We've been doing school for a month but this is our official back to school picture. We are sticking with Abeka for now.  Makayla is in second grade, Michael is doing K4, and Emily has some letter and number workbooks. So far it's still fun for all. 




1 comment:

  1. I'd be interesting in seeing pictures of the inside of your RV. :) And hearing about your process of picking it out. Pretty please.

    ReplyDelete