Monday, April 11, 2016

Review for our washer

We've been living in our travel trailer since the middle of December and have done just fine without a washer but it was unhandy at times. I kept close tabs on other full-time families who posted questions and reviews about washers. When our anniversary rolled around in March I told Eldon that I would love a washer. He did a lot of reading and research and had one ordered the next day. He's nice like that. 

He chose a Haier from Wal-mart. It's a 1.0 cubic foot and you can view it here :

Haier 1.0 Cubic Foot Portable Washing Machine



The children and I are still in awe of how cute it is!


We stuck it under the island in the kitchen. According to the measurements it should have fit there nicely but the hose in the back sticks up to high. I scoot it out a little when running it and otherwise it tucks in there neatly.


1 cubic foot is not very big but I can get 1 days laundry in there for 2 adults and 4 children. It's rated for 6 pounds of clothes, 10 mens t-shirts, or 2 pairs of jeans.


I cannot get this picture to turn but it shows the options. There is large, medium, and small loads as well as heavy, normal, and quick wash cycles. It's super easy to run and I've already got my 4 year old assigned to laundry duty.


The hoses are plenty long and attach to the sink spigot. The white curved thing is the drain pipe. We zip-tied it to the other hose after Eldon read horror stories of it slipping out of the sink and causing a flood. If we are at a state park I use hot water (I make sure the propane hot water heater is turned off first and only use electric). If we are at my parents I just use cold water instead of the electric water heater because, well they pay for it. 


Happily humming away. It beeps when you open it during the wash cycle . I like that because then I know when my kids are messing with it. My 3 year old loves to open it and the 1 year thinks it's great to throw things in so I can keep an eye on it!


I just threw this in here for fun. And because it's so cute.


We opted not to get a dryer because they are a LOT more expensive and we are very limited on space. I bought this super cool rack at an Amish store in Belleville, Pa when we were visiting my in-laws. It folds together in a very compact way and holds A LOT of laundry. So far we have been in dry climates and clothes dry in no time at all outside. 


This is my "sock hanger", which we also purchased at the Amish store. Today I finally figured out a way to hang it up outside. A refrigerator rack stuck in between the 2 metal things by the back bumper. I know, I'm so technical with my terms.It works perfect! I can hang a ton of small items on here and they dry well too.


And occasionally there is rainy days. This a bar that hangs in the back of our Excursion to hang clothes on when we travel without the camper (hopefully never). I hang it on top of the slide to the metal hanger thing on the wall in the bunkhouse intended to hang a TV on. I hang what I can on hangers and drape the rest where ever possible. Running the fan dries most things in 12 hours or so.

Would I recommend this washer? Yes! It's amazing to only do a load every day or two instead of lugging 2 weeks of dirty clothes into a laundry mat or my moms when we visit. It has created more jobs for my children, and that's always a plus! They load and unload it, hang out and bring in the laundry, and also do a good part of the folding. It does use around 7 gallons of water per cycle for a big load. We are state park people and often do not have sewer hook-ups so we depend on our "honey-wagon" and manually haul waste water to the dump station. This morning I did 2 loads and while the galley tank shows full, water still goes down just fine. 

Another big advantage is that now we need less clothes. A lot less, considering that we had been only doing laundry every 2 weeks and now I can every day. This is a win-win because it also saves on weight and storage room!


Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment