Wednesday, March 21, 2018

German Pancakes - THM S

     I'm not going to go all crazy and turn this into a food blog. Don't worry, I don't enjoy cooking or writing that much. I may however, be posting some recipes from time to time simply to make my life easier. I have a notorious habit of finding a recipe online, revamping it, then losing it. But if I post it here, I'll always be able to find. Also, on the rare occasion someone asks me for a recipe it's as easy as sending a link! 

     We try to eat mostly healthy. By that I mean low-carb, little to no sugar, and heavy on the vegetables. Basically, we follow the Trim Healthy Mama plan for the most part so when you see an S or E, it's referring to that :). 

     German Pancakes is a breakfast food that we all love. Well, we did until this morning when Emily cried because she doesn't like them but thankfully (in this case), her taste buds change multiple times a day. I got the recipe a few years ago at Gwen's Nest.

If you have a spare 6 year old around that spends his free time teasing his sisters, he will work wonderful to measure ingredients. 

Some days he reminds me a LOT of my nephew Dallas.

Blending is especially fun. Note how careful he is to keep a hand on top.

The stick of butter goes in the pan. Don't not read the directions and mix it with everything else. Not that I would ever do that.

The smell is amazing.

This morning we topped it with frozen, chopped strawberries and a little maple syrup.

I don't know why it separated a little but it certainly didn't effect the taste!
And, here is the recipe.

German Pancakes

  • 1/2 cup butter (to melt in pan)
  • 3 cups oat flour (simple blend oatmeal until fairly fine)
  • 12 eggs
  • 3/4 cup xylitol 
  • 1 tsp stevia
  • 4 tsp vanilla
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 3 cups unsweetened almond milk
  • 1 cup cream or half & half
  • 1 tsp nutmeg

  1. Preheat oven to 375.
  2. Place butter into a 9x13 pan (I actually use a 12 inch round) and allow to melt in the oven as you mix up the batter. 
  3. Blend oatmeal until fine then pour into mixing bowl.
  4. In a blender, combine remaining ingredients, and whisk together until well blended.
  5. Add oat flour and stir (or blend) until well mixed.
  6. Pour batter into hot casserole dish, and swirl with melted butter to blend it in briefly.
  7. Bake for 30 minutes.
  8. Serve with fresh fruit and maple syrup.

    This makes plenty for us 1 meal, plus leftovers for the next morning. Just the way I like it! Because I like to save money and calories, I sometimes tweak it a little.
1. Use only half the butter.
2. Use half water for the almond milk
3. Replace the cream with water or kombucha.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment