Friday, July 15, 2016

Durango, Colorado and turning 30

     This past Monday was a major milestone for me. I am now three decades old. It's most popular to dread birthdays when you get past twenty or so but for some strange reason I was ridiculously excited this year. I'm not sure why, but there are several things that attributed to it. Number one was that Eldon was off work. It seems as though he often ends up working on our birthdays and anniversary but in all fairness, I'm sure I remember those more then the ones he has off because I tend to sulk be sad :). I have also been pondering the blessing of growing older. It means that I have been blessed with health and life. In the last year I have know of at least three friends of friends who have passed on, mothers and wives just like me, and all of them younger then me. My brother had a heart attack when he was thirty. So yes, getting old is a blessing! I'm thankful for each day that I have with my family.

     Durango is an hour from our RV Park in Towaoc and we decided this was the perfect day to go exploring in a new town. The drive was gorgeous and we listened to The Adventures of Buster Bear by Thornton W. Burgess on Librivox so it didn't seem like it took an hour. Our first stop was at the Train Depot because they had a penny press machine and we wanted to be sure we got our souvenirs. We looked around the gift shop a bit then saw a sign for the Roundhouse Museum. Eldon thought we should go check it out and that was the best idea ever! 


     First off, it was free. I dearly love free things. I also dearly love museums but most are boring for the children. Not this one! There was tons of stuff not to touch but it was all set up in very interesting displays. It ended up being a highlight of the day, even for the children.


 This was Durango's first motorized firetruck.


One of several engines in the building.


We could also walk outside and see the roundhouse, where they switch the cars and engines.


The museum held all sorts of antiques. 


There was three train displays that fascinated us all. It seemed as though no matter how long you looked there was still something you hadn't seen before!


If I remember correctly, this was one that took eight years to build. The gentleman that did it used almost all items that he had on hand. Including wisps of his wife's hair for smoke! The details were amazing.


Pictured is a small part of the huge train display. There was actually a train that ran on these tracks so the children loved it!


For a history lover like me, the Veteran display was my favorite. Non of my pictures turned out but on the shelves to the left was hundreds of miniature scenes from war. It seemed as though they had at least one scene from every war but I'm not sure. I could have looked for hours! There was also exact replicates of the gun that killed Lincoln, the pocketknife in his pocket when he died, the gun that fired 'the shot heard round the world' and much more! 

So if you ever have a chance, definitely check this place out!

In front of the Train Depot.
 By this time the children were s.t.a.r.v.i.n.g. so we headed to one of Durango's many parks. It was a super small one so we were the only ones there. The children played while we sat in the shade. It was lovely not having a schedule and rushing off.



The reviews for the Durango Fish Hatchery were really good, plus it was free so we headed there next. You'll want quarters to feed the fish though!


They also had a wildlife museum that was chock-full of mounts and information about the animals. The children loved feeling furs and listening to different animal sounds. The gentleman that worked there made it fun and interesting too.



Durango is full of beautiful walking trails so that was the next thing we had planned. But.....Ethan had not slept at all and the rest of us were feeling hot and tired too so after a short walk to this bridge that spans the Animas River we headed home.



After resting for a while and swimming we headed back into town for supper. We went to Jimmer's Back Country BBQ and got the feast for 6. Our eyes were definitely bigger then our stomachs but the leftovers were delicious the next two days!

So good!
And of course, there was presents! Roses from Eldon, speaker cords from Makayla (to make it easier to listen to audio books from Librivox), a ratchet strap from Michael (to hang the chair swing my sister Michelle gave me) and Dove chocolates from Emily and Ethan. Yes, I am blessed indeed!




No comments:

Post a Comment